Steven Gerrard confirms he is close to signing new Rangers deal
The Liverpool legend guided the Gers to a second-placed finish in the Scottish Premiership in his debut managerial season last term.
And he was unlucky not to win his first piece of silverware as a manager when Celtic beat his side 1-0 in the Scottish League Cup on Sunday, largely due to the heroics of goalkeeper Fraser Forster, who saved a penalty from Alfredo Morelos.
Gerrard is set to extend his Ibrox contract until 2024, with an announcement expected soon.
He said: “In terms of myself, the club approached me a week to 10 days ago about a new deal. It was a pretty simple decision. I want to stay around. I’m happy here.
“I’m as hungry and determined to get the good days back here as I ever was. Talks have been pretty straight forward and positive.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across our network this week…
- Derby vs Sheffield Wednesday (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Bayern Munich vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Standard Liege vs Arsenal (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Charlton vs Hull (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Liverpool vs Watford (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Birmingham vs West Brom (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Chelsea vs Bournemouth (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
“When it’s signed and announced, you’ll have to wait and see. I’m very grateful for the opportunity to manage and lead this football club.
Click Here: United Kingdom Rugby Shop
“I’ve enjoyed my time here. I think we’re going in the right direction. If you’re happy then why not? That’s my motto.